Monday, April 25, 2011

Prefolds Day 1 FAIL

Okay, not a complete fail, but not a full day in prefolds either. I guess I set myself up for failure by throwing in a diaper other than prefolds into the diaper bag. I was in the mother's room at church with a wiggly, fussy toddler and patience that went up in smoke an hour earlier. I realized that I forgot an extra cover (I try to rotate between two covers so they can air out). Then I saw the Bumgenius Elemental (AIO) that I packed and gave in. I was a little upset at myself for being only 13 hours into the review and already getting off schedule. I was tempted to do it again when I went into a packed mother's room a hour and a half later. The last thing I wanted to do was struggle with my cloth in front of people who look at me like I have a third eye for using cloth. So, I took a deep breath, gave Claire the "if you embarrass me you'll be sorry look," and changed her prefold like a pro.

Then night came. I've never used prefolds at night before. I was hesitant to break up my nighttime routine for two reason: 1) There's no stay dry later. A stay dry layer, such as microfleece, allows wetness to go through while still feeling dry - so baby feels dry. Claire has been known to wake up when she feels wet and I didn't want to disrupt her sleeping through the night. I normally put in a hemp doubler (doubler - an additional pad of absorbency) at night so I put in a knickernappies hemp doubler since it has a stay dry side. I was a little nervous when I got her this morning, but was pleasantly surprised with dry sheets and a dry baby. In fact, the diaper could have held much more than what she dished out. I guess I shouldn't be all that surprised, with prefolds the entire diaper is absorbent - not just the wet zone. If I had stay dry liners I'd try it without the hemp tonight - but I don't. Maybe I should buy some - for experiment sake ;)

So, after a day in prefolds this what I've gathered:
1) Wiggly babies and impatient mommies aren't a good combo for prefolds
2) Prefolds need a stay dry layer during naps and at night if you have a baby that is sensitive to feeling wet.
3) Prefolds (the a hemp doubler) make an excellent night diapers for Claire.

No comments:

Post a Comment