Sunday, May 1, 2011

Intro to Contours and Fitted

Imagine a prefold that is cut into the shape of a diaper. No folding, just wrap, fasten, and cover. Nice huh? That's contours. Most contours don't have elastic. I don't have any contours. Why? Because I think it would be easier to take my prefolds and cut them into contours than buy them. Why don't I cut them? Because I don't want a diaper shaped rag or burp cloth. That's really all I have to say about contours. I have no experience with them.

Now take a contour, add elastic, make it sized or one-size, and close it with pins, snappis, velcro, or snaps. Now you have a fitted. They come in a variety of cuts (pocket fitteds, fitteds with snap in soakers, ect) and fabrics (cotton, hemp, bamboo). There are commercial ones such as Sweet Pea, Happy Heinys, Thirsies, ect but are also commonly made by work at home moms (WAHM). I really like some WAHM designs - I've used Bangshot Row Bamboo (BSRB) and Cow Patties Pocket Fitteds on Maddy before she was potty trained. However, they tend to use bamboo and Claire is allergic to bamboo. So I've taken to making my own using a modified Rita's Rump pattern. For my review I'll be using Sweet Peas, Happy Heiny Sherpas, Snugglebottoms, and fitteds made by yours truly.

No comments:

Post a Comment